Latrice Pace in The Color Purple (2018). Photo by Casey Gardner Ford Photography.
Are you interested in breaking artistic boundaries in a workplace that is dynamic and inclusive? The Actor’s Express team consists of artists, staff, apprentices and volunteers who crave artistic adventure and are committed to upholding principles of inclusion and equity.
Actor’s Express is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, age, disability, U.S. veteran status, or sexual orientation.
CURRENT AUDITION OPPORTUNITIES
Actor’s Express operates under the Actors’ Equity Small Professional Theatre Agreement (Category 4). Actor’s Express hires both Equity and non-Equity performers.
HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH AUDITIONS
Actor’s Express will hold an Equity Principal Audition (EPA) for Hedwig and the Angry Inch on January 29, 2023. Non-equity performers may audition, but only if there is no Equity performer waiting. Walk-up Equity members must be seen first, even if a non-Equity performer has been waiting.
For a copy of the Audition Notice, click HERE.
For audition sides, click HERE.
To sign up for an appointment and submit audition form materials, please click HERE.
CULLUD WATTAH AUDITIONS
Auditions for Cullud Wattah will be announced soon.
At this time, Actor’s Express does not have adequate staff resources to accept unsolicited manuscripts directly from playwrights not based in Atlanta.
Unsolicited scripts may be submitted by agents and professional representatives. Additionally, some unsolicited work may be considered on the strength of a professional recommendation and/or existing professional relationship.
Actor’s Express is a member and active user of the New Play Exchange and encourages writers to join this valuable and extensive, searchable, sortable database.
Professional representatives may submit work on behalf of their clients to:
887 West Marietta Street NW, Suite J-107
Atlanta, GA 30318
Agents and Atlanta-based playwrights, please submit any email queries directly to Artistic Director Freddie Ashley.
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN FOR 2023-2024 APPRENTICE COMPANY
The Apprentice Company at Actor’s Express is one of the most rigorous and successful programs of its kind in the Atlanta area. In residence for a full year, apprentices can expect an average time commitment of 20-30 hours per week in the theater. In addition to practicum work, apprentices take up to ten classes taught by working professionals. All apprentices recieve a $400 per production stipend.
The program has three primary goals:
1. To expand the skills of the artist through rehearsal, understudy rehearsal,
performance, understudy performance, class work and participation in
the workings of a professional theatre company.
2. To successfully bridge the transition from student training to professional
3. To inspire the individual with the theatre’s potential for impact.
How to apply:
Materials are due by Monday April 17th, 2023. Upload your materials at this link.
Please prepare two contrasting contemporary monologues (or one monologue and one song acapella). Send headshot, resume and a link to
your audition pieces. The link should be to a web-based platform (YouTube, Vimeo, WeTransfer, etc.) and be sure to double check your preferred privacy settings. Videos requiring a download will not be considered.
Directors and Stage Managers:
Please send resume and cover letter, along with any appropriate supporting materials (portfolio, SM book, etc.)
Please send resume and cover letter, along with any appropriate supporting materials (portfolio, drawings, plots, etc.).
Once the deadline has passed applicants materials will be reviewed. Associate Artistic Director, Amanda Washington, will reach out to schedule an interview if you have been selected for the next round of the process. If you have any questions, please reach out to Amanda Washington at
[email protected]Amanda Washington.
Actor’s Express is a fully vaccinated workplace all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
Actors Express is committed to Anti-Racism and Anti-Bias in the work place and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, gender identity, religions or any other deeply held belief, all are welcome and encouraged to apply for positions at the theatre. View our anti-racist / anti-bias plan here.
To apply email a cover letter, resume and writing sample to [email protected]. Open until filled, interviews will begin February 25
Pay Rate: $17 per hour approximately 10 – 15 hour per week
Reporting: Associate Managing Director
Hours: Part-time, Hourly 10 – 15 hours a week. This is an in person, in office position. Most hours will be performed onsite at Actor’s Express. The schedule is expected to be two five-hour days or three four hour day, with consistent hours scheduled each working day between 9am and 7pm. The final schedule will be set as part of the hiring process.
- Individual fundraising – support the creation of fundraising initiatives by executing development strategies that include.
- Creating and managing fundraising mailers
- Process donations in the patron data base and send thank acknowledgements,
- Support fundraising events and the annual gala
- Lead social media and small donor fundraising as assigned.
- Grants and Institutional Fundraising – support institutional fundraising campaigns by
- Organizing the grants calendar
- Writing first drafts of grant and sponsorship materials
- Researching grants, sponsorship, and major donors
- Attention to detail
- Strong written communication
- Willingness to work onsite and as part of a team
- Love of Theatre
- Strong project and time management skills
• Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings (during rehearsals)
• Saturday, Sunday during the day (during rehearsals)
• Friday, Saturday evenings (during performances)
• Sunday afternoons (during performances)
• Final schedule and call times set by the rehearsal and performance schedule
Please e-mail a brief cover letter, resume, and protfolio if availble to Alex Scollon at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Graphics and Marketing Coordinator
Pay Rate: $17 per hour approximately, 10 – 15 hour per week
Supervisor: Marketing Director
Start Date: ASAP
Work Hours: Part-time, Hourly 10 – 15 hours a week. This is an in person, in office position. Most hours will be performed onsite at Actor’s Express. The schedule is expected to be two five-hour days or three four hour days, with consistent hours scheduled each working week between 9am and 7pm. The final schedule will be set as part of the hiring process.
- Graphic Design– Use design tools, Photoshop, Illustrator, and other programs to create print materials and advertising graphics for AE’s productions, fundraising and Events.Create advertising graphics based on show art and AE branding for all events
- Layout print material for all AE performances
- Collect information and layout the program for all AE performances.
- Design AE house boards for each AE show
- Design materials for fundraising campaigns.
- Website and Social Media
- Update the AE website to keep performance information current and content fresh.
- Work with the box office to optimize the ticket buying and donation experience online.
- Create weekly AE patron emails.
- Lead social media marketing, development and branding for mainstage events and other programs and events as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of photoshop, illustrator and other graphic design programs.
- Good graphical eye with the ability to work within the AE brand
- Knoweldge of Wordrpess and Email design programs
- Strong Project Managment and Multi Tasking Skills
- Good communicator and a willing team player
- Love of Theatre
- Additional skills in Photography, Illustration or video creation a plus
Please e-mail a brief cover letter, resume and portfolio if available to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Pay Rate: Part-time hourly $10 to $15 per hour, hours as assigned, some nights and weekends required
Supervisor: Technical Director and/or Area Leads
Start Date: variable
Benefits: Flexible schedule available
- Assist with the build and load in of set materials
- Assist with rigging
- Assist with show maintenence
- Hang, load-in and Focus lighting rig
- perform show maintenence
- Paint and and texture scenic elements
- perform show maintenence
- Shop and Stich costumes to create design
- perform show maintenence
- Some advanced knowledge of theatre production needed
- Problem solving can do attitued.
- Spesific area skill sets
Please e-mail a brief cover letter and resume to Ebony at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Evening Box Office Assistant
Pay Rate: $12.50 per hour
Supervisor: Patron Services Manager
Box Office Assistants are responsible for selling and distributing tickets with courteous and effective customer service at Actor’s Express performances. The Box Office staff also manages the bar/concessions area including personnel, inventory, and monies.
• Answer phones and maintain patron services.
• Check voicemail and email for ticket reservations and confirm.
• Manage nightly inventory of tickets and sell tickets at the door.
• Process and print nightly Box Office report.
• Manage Bar/Concessions area.
• Keep the lobby and box office area clean.
• Work with volunteer ushers and interns.
• Outstanding customer relations, communications, and problem-solving in a fast-paced environment.
• Coordinate with Production on specific requirements for each performance, i.e. late seating, seating restrictions, etc.
• Deal effectively with special seating requirements.
• Work effectively under pressure to ensure all patrons are seated in a courteous and friendly manner before showtime.
• Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative.
• Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
6 – 12 hours a week average during the evening. Working hours would typically fall between 6 pm – 11 pm. Possibly more administrative hours available depending on skills. Productions run approximately four to five weeks with three to five weeks in between.
Actor’s Express offers administrative apprenticeship throughout the season. Standard administrative apprenticeships run approximately ten weeks with apprentices working in the office two or three times a week for four to six hours a day. Administrative Apprentices receive a $400 stipend and can expect to work on Fundraisings, Marketing, and Operations projects as well as special projects aligning with the Apprentice’s interests. Apprentices may also work for school credit if enrolled in an arts program.
If interested in applying please email Alex Scollon at [email protected] a brief cover letter stating why you are interested in exploring arts management and your resume.
As an usher, you assist our house management team in stuffing and passing out programs as well as providing general services to our patrons. The best part? You get to see our shows for free!
Have a special interest in helping AE plan events, audience engagement activities and innovative fundraising ideas? Join our volunteer committee, which meets every other month.
Distribute posters and flyers around your neighborhood to promote upcoming shows.
Board of Directors: If you love the Express and want
to get involved on the most intimate level, consider joining the board.
Help with mailings, telethons and data entry.